Acuitas is a private biotechnology company based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. We are the premier global provider of delivery technology to enable new classes of nucleic acid therapeutics. Acuitas is partnered with multiple international, biotechnology and pharmaceutical partners. These partnerships are focused on bringing new vaccines and drugs into clinical development and to the marketplace. Acuitas fosters an inclusive and supportive work environment and our values are honesty, integrity, innovation and openness. We strive to work internally and with our partners in an ethical, collegiate and respectful manner.
Working within the Preclinical Group and reporting to the Sr. Director, Preclinical, the Scientist, Preclinical/Immunology will be responsible for designing and executing in vitro and in vivo studies to characterize the pharmacodynamics and safety of LNP-nucleic acid formulations, as well as immunological characterization of the LNP and constituent components. Some studies will be performed externally, through partners or contract laboratories (CROs), and will require coordination, management and oversight of some or all aspects of these studies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and execute in vitro and in vivo studies to characterize the pharmacodynamics and safety of LNP-nucleic acid formulations.
- Develop new in vitro and in vivo models and assays to support research objectives.
- Generate study outlines, protocols and reports to support Acuitas and partner studies.
- Document, analyze, and interpret experimental data; generate summaries and make recommendations for follow-up studies.
- Coordinate studies with other Acuitas scientists, collaborators, partners and/or contract laboratories (CRO), as required.
- Generate study budgets and timelines, as required.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of literature and new advances in immunology/clinical immunology and safety, with particular emphasis on IRRs and cytokine release for biotherapeutics and lipid-based products.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- Master’s degree in pharmacology, biology, toxicology, immunology, biochemistry or a related discipline, with 8+ years of relevant laboratory experience in an academic or industry environment, or a PhD with 5+ years experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with tissue culture and immunological assays (e.g., flow cytometry, ELISPOT, ELISA, multiplex assays) and molecular assays (e.g., RT-qPCR).
- Experience and proficiency in injections (IV, SC, IM), blood and tissue sampling and rodent necropsies would be an asset.
- Excellent communication, writing and organizational skills.
- Ability to present data in written reports, and verbally to individuals, groups and partners.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects and studies across multi-functional groups in a fast-paced environment, and to independently execute preclinical evaluations of LNP activity and safety.
- Previous experience or an understanding of LNP-nucleic acid pharmacology and safety issues would be an asset.